Jewish lives don't belong in Sundown Towns. Have you ever felt that being who you are made your town unsafe? Do you feel unsafe? I do feel that way sometimes. My last name sounds German and Jewish, and I worry about becoming the target of a hate crime. Growing up, I learned that many celebrities, business owners, and working people had to change their names to avoid discrimination in order to succeed. This was the reality in America, a country that couldn't live up to its own ideals. I was bullied for my Jewish-sounding last name and still bear the scars. Despite this, I was a scrappy kid. I've considered changing my name from the trafficked one I was given to my birth name, but I haven't done it yet. It might be risky, but as a Mi’kmaq, I refuse to give in to bullies and fear. I've never backed down before, and I won't start now. Some might call it arrogance or recklessness, but it's just me being Mi’kmaw, stubborn and proud. Moreover, my birth name does...
Comments
Post a Comment